Meals Behind Bars
Did you know that Bernie Madoff, the man behind the greatest investor fraud scheme in historical past, is even now swindling from behind bars? This time, taxpayers are shelling out main bucks so that Bernie Madoff and other prisoners can get kosher meals in federal jail on request. Kosher meals for prisoners expense the law-abiding population big time this services requires having kosher cooks and a separate kosher kitchen at amenities with inmates who are, purportedly, religious. Possibly these miscreants should have contemplated their religious creeds, morals, and unique dietary demands ahead of committing federal crimes.
When Ira Black, the guitarist for the well-liked metal band Lizzy Borden, was sentenced to prison in Los Angeles for a misdemeanor, he went on a hunger strike simply because he has been a vegan for fifteen years. Most prisons do not provide special meals for vegans or vegetarians and Ira Black refused to consume the hefty meat and dairy diet that was provided throughout his incarceration. Whereas self-declared religious felons demand and acquire far more pricey kosher meals that should be prepared separately in a publicly funded kitchen, vegans are anticipated to give up their ideas and eat animal derived items while serving time.
The truth is that it is inefficient and discriminatory for dietary exceptions to be created for prisoners regardless of the cause. All inmates need to be taken care of equally. We must be serving value-efficient and eco-friendly meals to all prisoners. After all, why must society spend the added costs of catering to specific felons? Prisoners should be supplied nutritionally sound meals that do not value taxpayers an arm and a leg. If you break the law, you must be aware that there is a single set meal program for all inmates regardless of religion, credo, or principle.
A vegan menu must be the only choice offered in prison. What???! Did not this post just argue that all prisoners need to be taken care of equally? Why need to Ira Black’s vegan diet regime be served although Bernie Madoff’s kosher requests go ignored? The solution is straightforward. The selection to serve vegan meals in prison is 1 that is based mostly on the best interests of society as a entire rather than the wishes of person prisoners. The most fiscally and environmentally responsible diet program to give prisoners is a single devoid of animal goods. Here are a few factors why an exclusively vegan meal strategy in prisons would positively influence society as a whole:
– Plant-based mostly vegan components like beans are a lot more cost-effective than meat merchandise, especially when purchased in bulk.
– Necessary vegan meal strategy in prisons will increase the environment by decreasing demand for products from the meat and dairy industries, which are responsible for 18% of the Earth’s greenhouse fuel emissions.
– There was a trial program implemented at the Victor Valley Medium Correctional Facility in Adelanto, California which found that violence dropped substantially among inmates who have been switched to a vegan diet program.
– An enhanced demand for vegan meals reduces violence against animals by the meat and dairy industries.
– According to the American Dietetic Association, vegans and vegetarians are significantly less susceptible to heart ailment, diabetes, cancer, and obesity than meat-eaters. Switching prisoners to a plant-based meal program will save the prison system a great deal of cash on prisoners’ lengthy phrase health-related care expenses. This is, of program, very good information for taxpayers.
– Must we really be serving the entire body components of once-residing creature to inmates who are supposed to be considering the distinction in between what is proper and what is incorrect? To serve the victims of mankind’s ongoing animal genocide to the likes of Christopher Lee McCuin and Timothy Wayne Shepard looks specifically twisted.
Even though prisons are unlikely to adopt an solely vegan menu correct now, this alter is probable in the potential. As the atmosphere continues to deteriorate and as taxpayers grow to be more and more irate more than extra investing in prison amenities, necessary veganism for inmates could in the long run be enacted.
Jennifer Clary is an owner of the vegan food business Gobble Green (http://www.gobblegreen.com) and a CEO of the national media corporation jenkev productions (http://www.jenkev.com). Gobble Green is an on the internet marketplace giving a diverse and frequently updated selection of wholesome, pre-packaged vegan meals. In addition to her corporate responsibilities, Jennifer is an award winning film director and a proud vegan.